Normandy German Military Cemeteries in Calvados, France
Originally the site of a temporary American cemetery, La Cambe also had over 8,000 burials from the German armed forces. By 1945 it was the largest German Military cemetery of the Second World War in France. Near the centre of the cemetery is a 6 meter high mass grave (Kameradaengrab) with 296 burials, on top stands a large basalt lava cross with figures of a mother and father. Of those buried in this mass grave, the names of only 89 are known.
The cemetery was inagurated on the 21st September 1961. 35 years later, on the 21st September 1996, the La Cambe Peace Garden (Friedenspark) exhibition was opened along with the planting of 21 maple trees. Today 1,200 maple trees make up the Peace Garden, each sponsored by an individual or an organisation. As an act of reconciliation the first maple tree to the left of the entrnace into the cemetery, is sponsored by the Royal Britsh Legion.
Honours and Awards